Thursday, January 28, 2010

Breast Cancer Screening

Towards the end of 2009, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality changed its recommendations for women under 50 with regard to breast cancer screening. Specifically, the agency recommends that women under 50 not get a breast cancer screen, and those from 50 to 75 to get a breast cancer screen every other year. One of the big reasons is that the benefits of breast cancer screening do not seem to be worth the costs due to the number of false positive results.

Richard Thaler (economist at the Univ. of Chicago) writes a good piece on the economic thinking of this topic.

1 comment:

Alena said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Alena

http://ovarianpain.net